Lentils are not only a cheap source of protein, but they are also fat-free, high in fiber and rich in many essential nutrients. Adding lentils to your diet offers loads of health benefits, such as helping you control your weight to promoting heart health!
Health Benefits of Lentils
- Lower Cholesterol – Lentils have high levels of soluble fiber to help reduce blood cholesterol and reduce risk of heart disease by keeping the arteries clean.
- Promotes Digestive Health – Dietary fiber found in lentils helps prevent constipation and other digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome
- Good Source of Protein – Amongst all legumes and nuts, lentils ranked third in the protein level, which makes them a wonderful source of protein for vegetarians
- Increases Energy Levels – Lentils increase steady and slow-burning energy due its fiber and complex carbohydrates. Lentils are also a good source of iron, which transports oxygen throughout your body and is key to energy production and metabolism.
- Aids in Weight Loss – Lentils increase steady and slow-burning energy due its fiber and complex carbohydrates. Lentils are also a good source of iron, which transports oxygen throughout your body and is key to energy production and metabolism.
- High in Folic Acid – Lentils are exceptionally high in folic acid, which can help prevent certain birth defects and may prevent dementia, and bone fractures in people with osteoporosis.
DIY – Sauteed Lentils with Mushrooms
Ingredients (serves 6)
– 250 g small lentils, rinsed – 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil – 1 onion, finely chopped – 1 garlic clove, crushed – 25 g butter – 100 g small chestnut mushrooms – 100 g oyster mushrooms, cut into half – 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley – 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice – Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the lentils in a saucepan with 1 litre cold water, and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 35 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
2. Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and heat it. Add the onion and garlic and fry for about 10 minutes until pale golden.
3. Add in the butter, the remaining oil and the mushrooms. Stir-fry until the mushrooms are cooked. Add the lentils, chopped parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper and continue to stir well.4. Garnish the serving with the parsley.