Red bell peppers are mild and can jazz up a salad, lend a perky crunch to your favourite pizza, and taste delicious when roasted. But the appeal of these peppers goes way beyond their beautiful color. One red bell pepper contains more than 100% of your daily vitamin C needs. Here’s a list of benefits:
- Low in calories: A red bell pepper is a perfect, low calorie snack that contains only about 30 calories.
- Loaded in Vitamin C: Powers up your immune system and keeps skin youthful.
- Rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties: Rich in phytochemicals and carotenoids, helps to prevent wrinkles and increase blood circulation to your skin. Great in fighting acne to achieve a flawless skin!
- Decreased risk of cataracts: Red bell peppers contain lutein, a phytonutrient that has been proven to have a protective benefit against macular degeneration.
DIY – Sauteed Red Bell Peppers
– 450 grams of red bell peppers, sliced– 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped– 5 tablespoons of vegetable or chicken broth – 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil– Add sea salt and pepper to taste– Optional: Add goat or feta cheese
Directions1. Chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes2. Heat broth, add bell pepper slices when steam comes out. Cover and cook for 3 minutes3. Uncover and cook for another 4 more minutes4. Toss peppers, garlic and extra virgin olive oil in a salad bowl5. Top it up with shredded goat / feta cheese